This module introduces the fields of Legal Linguistics and Global Legal Languages, looking at a number of different legal global variables through a linguistic lens and highlighting essential study skills.
Part One: THEORETICAL OVERVIEW
Law, English and Globalisation:
- From Law and Linguistics to Legal Linguistics;
- Globalisation and Legal Languages;
- Global Legal Languages;
- Economics and Globalisation: Legal Pragmatics and Semantic Change.
Part Two: LEGAL GLOBAL VARIABLES AND LANGUAGE
- International and Transnational Actors;
- Good Governance;
- Domination and Conditionalities;
- Legal Systems of the World;
- Climate Change and Mobility;
- Diglossia(s): EU English/Islamic Finance.
Part Three: PATTERNS OF LEGAL GLOBALITIES
- Law and Development;
- Law and Finance;
- Convergence of Laws;
- Outcomes: Financial Domination.
Part Four: STUDY SKILLS:
- Law, Language, and Indicators;
- Measuring the law. Some examples.